Author of the building design is the architect Gustavs Vinklers. It was built in 1875 for the Stāmeriena Estate baron Edvīns fon Volfs as a winter residence. In 1884, baron’s heirs sold the house to the Swiss Consul, industrialist and merchant Konstantīns Šturcs. He bought additional land plots and extended the garden. After Šturcs’ death in 1925, heirs sold the house to the Latvian Union of Merchants. In 1926, architect Eižens Laube developed the house reconstruction design. One-storey renaissance stone building, the White House, was built on in the yard; a dining hall, library and many other rooms with rich interior, stained-glass windows and sculptures were arranged in the mansion. House was created after popular Russian Clubs of Merchants.
This building held conferences and congresses of merchants, a number of significant Latvian enterprises were founded. Publicly well-known people worked in the Latvian Union of Merchants – Vilis Ķuze, Eduards Kurauss, Pēteris Dannenbergs, Ludvigs Neiburgs, Jānis Brigaders, etc. In 1936, the minister for internal affairs decided to liquidate the Latvian Union of Merchants, and in 1937 it ceased its activities.
From 1937, house owner was the Latvian Chamber of Commerce and Industry founded on 21 December 1934, in order to represent and further commerce and industry in Latvia. In August 1940, the Central Committee of the Communist Party of LSSR was accommodated in this building. Later, Rīga Technical House worked in the house many years.